Matthew joined the staff at Macedonia as the Associate Pastor in November 2007. In April 2020, he became the lead pastor. He has a passion for helping others grow spiritually as they follow Christ.
His daughter Mackenzie decided that it was time for the goatee (see the photo) to go back in 2008, but he hates being in pictures so it will be a while before a current one is snapped and posted. That doesn't mean you can't get to know him, though. We've posted a brief introduction to help out.
Matthew is NOT what anyone would call a morning person, so his first thought in the morning is "How much longer can I sleep and still get where I'm going at a reasonable time?" Unfortunatley getting the kids up and ready for the day usually trumps the desire for a little more shut-eye. Since he despises coffee, he's not fully awake until mid-morning.
For fun, Matthew enjoys playing with his kids, watching the Atlanta Braves, reading nerdy history or science stuff, and accumulating knowledge that normal people just shouldn't know (like the average air speed of a housefly is 5 mph). One day he'd love to be a contestant on Jeopardy, but until then, the "useless" knowledge comes in handy for having a good conversation with just about anyone.
He's tried to learn how to play the guitar at least three times and has finally accepted the fact that playing a CD is as far as he'll go in the music world. On that front, Jeremy Camp, Shane & Shane, Casting Crowns, and Mercy Me are some of his favorite music makers.
Matthew is married to a star, Kelly, who appeared on the Price is Right and won an entire dining room set (crystal stemware and china place servings included). They have five children, Mackenzie, Karis, Krista, Caleb, and Lawson. In addition, he is a graduate of Louisiana Tech University and Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. For over 12 years, Matthew served in the academic world, most recently as an assistant professor of History at Shorter University.
We asked him the following questions just so you could get to know him a little better.
- Do you prefer to use a pen or a pencil? Pencil
- Chocolate or vanilla? Chocolate - always
- Storms.... scary or cool? Thunderstorms rock!! The awesome power of lightning is inspiring.
- What's your favorite color? Plaid
- What's your dream car? Paid for
- Your favorite movie(s): The original Star Wars trilogy, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Life is Beautiful have to top the list.
- What would you hate to be left in a room with? Any kind of feline (I'm terribly allergic.)
- Do you have any favorite quotes? Yes. One is from Groucho Marx - "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Just Kidding. My favorite quotes are from Scripture. Matthew 5.16, Habbakuk 3.17-19, and Acts 4.20 are among my favorites.
- What books, other than the Bible, have really impacted your life? Hmmm... So many to choose from. Henry Blackaby's Experiencing God, John Piper's Desiring God, C.S. Lewis' Writings (Mere Christianity, God in the Dock, A Grief Observed, Chronicles of Narnia, etc.), and Brother Lawrence's The Practice of the Presence of God would be among my top picks.